Fake smash

Hey Tosh-3

« Older   Newer »

1. Alex Self Apoc. 9

User deleted

Remember the fake smash thing you did with the Wehrmacht truck?

1. Can you show me how to do it, can it be done just by modding the text file where the funks are?
    Or do you need a certain program like PT2 or CarEd, I would love to know, because to me, for you to do that, you basically found what Carmageddon 1 was missing all along...

2. Like FLIS, can it be done with PIX files?

Ps: I will make damaged textures... I got a CHRISTINE (yeah, that Plymouth fury) skin for Otis, and found a burning one, so when it is damaged enough, it turns into the burning Christine.

Hopefully this is possible...

Edit

http://web.archive.org/web/19991013124938/...ral/index3.html

Edit: Click above the word links, then click chevelle

Download 'Pristine Christine' and 'Burning Chris'. Burning Chris is when the Christine akin would get damaged

Edited by Alex Self Apoc. 9 - 15/8/2014, 13:51
    Attached Image

Master

Group

Status
    That fake smash trick actually relies on crush data handling. The front geometry of the truck is pushed behind another plane which is mapped with the damaged texture.
    I've been able to do it with the Wehrmacht truck because it was very simple.

In theory, your idea is possible, but you'd need a perfect understanding of crush datas and then a way to generate a quite complex custom one. The model would be composed of an outer shell and an inner one. As it gets damaged, the crush data applied on the outer shell makes it shrink and thus reveals the inner shell, which is identical to the outer shell but has damaged textures.

Maybe someday when Errol will be advanced enough with C:R support within Flummery, he might come back to C1 support and add tools to make crush data easier to generate..?

3. Alex Self Apoc. 9

User deleted

Ok, so your basically saying that the wm truck has some sort of modified crush data to then show another plane that is the damaged textures, but is it possible to do so just by fiddling with the text file... Will have to download the file to check, and hopefuly there is a good crush data reference out there, but would you need any software like car Ed or pt2, or would the soft ware be nessicarry at all. I'll check WM Truck

Edit:

What of this?

START OF FUNK

TWM_SD1.MAT
    constant
    piss off
    no fucking lighting bastards
    flic
    approximate
    TWM_SD1.FLI

NEXT FUNK

TWM_SD2.MAT
    constant
    piss off
    flic
    approximate
    TWM_SD2.FLI

NEXT FUNK

TWM_FR1.MAT
    constant
    piss off
    flic
    approximate
    TWM_FRT.FLI

END OF FUNK

// CRUSH DATA
    // CRUSH DATA
    -0.23, -0.18, -0.5
    0.23, 0.23, -0.45
    0.00, 0.000000, 0.00
    0.00, 0.000000, 15
    2 // 1
    1 // 2
    1 // 3
    28 // 31
    1 // 32
    1 // 33
    1 // 34
    3 // 37
    1 // 38
    1 // 39
    1 // 40
    1 // 41
    1 // 42
    1 // 43
    1 // 44
    1 // 45
    1 // 46
    1 // 47
    1 // 48
    // CRUSH DATA

Edited by Alex Self Apoc. 9 - 15/8/2014, 15:14

Master

Group

Status
    No it is not possible to do this trick via text only. (And it doesn't use FUNKS at all. FUNKS are for animated textures. In thes case of the Wehmacht truck, the funks load the FLIC file into its respective material.) You need to modify the 3D model and duplicate it to have two shells. So you need PT2 or MAX. Also generating the crush datas is very complicated for something else than a box. It is not meant to be written by hand, a program must be used to generate it but none exists so far.

5. Alex Self Apoc. 9

User deleted

...Ok, so I will have to deal with regular Christine skin, no burning for now, I tried to load up pt2, was able to load a model, but yeah... Somewhat medium attention span. So I am to make a copy of the model?... How do you duplicate the model and then put it inside the other model?

So I can still modify around with Otis's crush data, and insert the other model frames...

I don't get what you are saying... I feel a bit confused...Errol, please make our crush data generator.

6. QTZ

User deleted

QUOTE (Toshiba-3 @ 15/8/2014, 15:26) 
    a program must be used to generate it but none exists so far.

But why not to ask Carmageddon Team? They must have such tool? Or there is PT# or Carmagedoon build in tool we don't know how to run? Maybe try to ask on Carmageddon.com forum? At least maybe they answer how they generated that data, or some other details?

BTW: This is that truck I'm made experimental skin for it.

Master

Group

Status
    qtz: we already asked them multiple times. they lost everything dev-tools wise. they were the ones who said to use static crush datas instead. i suspect there was a kind of pt1.5 for c1 or they had complementary tool for crush data generation.

8. Alex Self Apoc. 9

User deleted

How did they loose the tools???

Darn, Errol you better finish that Crush Data generator!

9. QTZ

User deleted

Anyway this will be interesting to know the story and how the data was generated...
    I have found method to cleaning crush data by myself - just looking at text files.

OT: BTW: Tosh, there is interesting 4MB file in SP root directory - it contains some kind of precompiled sources - lots of text in the middle of binary data. Did you know something about this file?

10. Alex Self Apoc. 9

User deleted

I don't get what you mean by 'cleaning' crush datas...

What is this file called

Master

Group

Status
    Cleaning crush datas manually must be a tedious task. Alex, he means he removes vertices that make the game crash within a specific vertice transformation matrix. Or maybe that whole vertice transformation matrix altogether.
    The SYM file is just a file generated during compiling to help debug afterward. It seems interesting to look at but it's been useless so far.

We just need a model viewer allowing us to select some vertices as point of impact, set a transformation matrix and then set nearby vertices to react with it.

12. QTZ

User deleted

I think the sym file may be useful. It looks like it contains function and variable names (there is "write_crush_data" function name - [I wrote this from memory - search for "crush"]), etc. probably together with pointers to code. I think this may be for different exec than we have, but it may help with source code restoration... or at least finding interesting procedures. It's out of my skill, but I think someone like author of Noesis (which can open C1 dat files) who created such tools like ExceptionTracer can analyze the sym file. Maybe he can also take a look at crush data. Or team up with Errol :)

Edit: Maybe Jeff can help too. I have just found new posts on his page.

Edited by QTZ - 17/8/2014, 23:55

13. Alex Self Apoc. 9

User deleted

Hmmm... Who's Jeff?

God, I just found out how good I am with X-mas demo animated car FLIs...

Due to what I have done to a certain ped... I have pissed off the entire foro foretico community...

Dios

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Who's Jeff?

Jeff is the developer of OpenC1: www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1/

QUOTE (Alex Self Apoc. 9 @ 18/8/2014, 14:54) 
    Due to what I have done to a certain ped... I have pissed off the entire foro foretico community...

What?

13 replies since 14/8/2014, 21:26   282 views