Pixtractor 1.0!

A program to extract all Carmageddon and Splat Pack correctly

« Older   Newer »

1. jomalin

User deleted

Finally, here it is! I finished programming this little tool for the Carmageddon modders, it is attached below in a ZIP file.

As I said in other posts, pixtractor can extract ALL images from Carmageddon and Splat Pack perfectly, without any error. Pixed and Carmagedit fails (crash) on some pixpack files and also, sometimes they don't extract the image correctly because it doesn't interpret well the width, like in GO.PIX, the width is 54, and not 56. If you you change pixels in the last two vertical pixel columns in the image, and then import it with Carmagedit, you will not see that change in the game (this is because the width is 54, not 56, so the two columns are not rendered).

IMPORTANT NOTE: The program hasn't got a GUI (Graphical User Interface) so it doesn't have a window, you must execute it by command line. This is why if you double click on pixtractor.exe, it shows a black window and it closes.

HOW TO USE:
    In Windows 95/98: Start, Execute, write "command" (without the quotation marks) and press enter.
    In XP/Vista/Win7: Start, Execute, write "cmd" (without the quotation marks) and press enter.
    A black window must appear. Now, go to the folder where pixtractor is, writing this for example: cd c:\carma (and press enter). Now you can execute the program writing some of the following lines:

Extract all textures (recursively) from the Carmageddon CD with race palette:
    pixtractor D:\data C:\carmatextures –racepal –r

Extract all textures (recursively) from the Carmageddon CD with race palette, with file organizational mode (instead of folder organizational mode):
    pixtractor D:\data C:\carmatextures –racepal –r -file

Extract all textures (recursively) from the Carmageddon CD with race palette and write the output (details about each texture extracted, and the total number of they) to a text file:
    pixtractor D:\data C:\carmatextures –racepal –r > report.txt

Pixtract accepts a few parameters to customize the resulting BMP filenames (add or not numeration, add the pixpack filename, etc) and other things. Executing pixtractor without parameters will show all of they, but if you want even more details, look at the README.RTF.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: If Pixtractor crash with some PIX files, this is because the PIX file has been incorrectly manipulated. Pixtractor works perfectly with ALL of the original Carmageddon and Splat Pack pixpack files. Pixed and Carmagedit got some bugs, and one of they, it adds some 0x00 bytes to end of an edited PIX file that can cause this crash.

ENJOY IT!

Next thing, is to do a pixtractor for the PSX version of Carmageddon, and then, the pixpacker program (to convert from BMP files to PIX files)! I will take my holidays this Friday, so I will have it finished on a few weeks/months...

Edited by jomalin - 16/8/2012, 11:52
    File Allegato
    pixtractor.zip
    (Number of downloads: 95)

19 replies since 15/8/2012, 21:04   625 views